Lines and Dots

Lines and Dots
Yummy!

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Love you Dad!


My dad, skydiving or scuba diving, handsome as they come!


Charming the ladies!

He passed in 1998 and I think of him every single day.

  Right now I am sitting here with a grin from ear to ear - I swear you are hanging out right behind me just laughing and smiling away.  You inspired my love of plants (my first career!) by letting me help you rake and tend those citrus trees in the front yard.  Grapefruits and lemons for sure, what else was there?  And you used to get so mad at us kids for picking the fleshy leaves off those big succulent bushes we had - we'd throw them at each other and they'd get everywhere, lol.  They also made great hopscotch markers, much to your chagrin I'm sure.  Later on when you were in Topanga I bought you that Ginkgo tree and that Weeping Juniper - you found such joy in taking care of those and I can remember a phone call or two with updates on both.  

Today, Dad, I want to say thank you.  Thank you for just being who you were.  I'm so glad I got to know you better as I got older.  I will never forget your love of food and cooking, your passion for hunting and fishing (you taught me how to do both of those things!), drinking Manhattans and cheap red wine, and your never-ending thrill at finding your newest piece of Pacific Northwest Indian art treasure (and the late night phone calls to each of us kids sharing the latest find!).  And none of us can forget your love of people and the chance to share a story or two...


I wish you were still here.  I wish you were around to see my latest work and to teach me better photography skills.  I hope you are proud of me.  But most of all I wish you had been able to meet Len.  I know you met him in my dreams that night (thanks for coming) but that doesn't mean I can't wish that it had been in person - you two would have had a blast together!   I know you are looking out for us from up there.  Just know I love you and am grateful for all that you were! 

Lots of love,
Jenny




No comments:

Post a Comment